Joining ACU from the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Professor Simon Stewart is dedicated to understanding the evolving burden of heart disease and developing innovative models of care to improve related health outcomes. An NHMRC Principal Research Fellow and Principal Investigator of an NHMRC Program Grant, Project Grant and Centre of Research Excellence to Reduce Inequality in Heart Disease, he has attracted around $20 million in research funds in the past five years to support his wide-ranging health services research.
Simon was co-founder and Co-Principal Investigator of the Heart of Soweto Study (published in The Lancet and Circulation) and also co-led the Heart of the Heart Study of Indigenous heart health in Central Australia. A prolific contributor to literature in the field through books and peer-reviewed articles, Simon is also currently an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Cardiology. He holds senior editorial positions in other prestigious journals including the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and Nature Reviews Cardiology.
Professor Stewart is the inaugural Director of the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research.
Accolades and awards:
- Inaugural Nurse Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (1997)
- Winner of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand’s Affiliate Research Prize (1998)
- American Heart Association’s Martha Hill New Investigator Research Prize (2000)
- Inaugural International Fellow of the American Heart Association (2001)
- American Heart Association’s CV Nursing Council Prize for Best Research Article (2001)
- Inaugural NHMRC Career Development Award (2002-2006*)
- Young Tall Poppy Award (2002-2004)
- Inaugural Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (2005)
- Inaugural Cardiovascular Nursing Lecture, CSANZ Scientific Meeting (2006)
- Inaugural President of the Australasian College of Cardiovascular Nursing (2006)
- Anna Reynvaan Lecturer, The Netherlands (2010)
- NHMRC Principal Research Fellow (2013-2017*)
- American Heart Association’s CV Nursing Council Prize for Clinical Article (2001) – co-senior author
- American Heart Association’s CV Nursing Council Prize for Best Research Article (2013)
- Awarded Life Membership of Australasian College of Cardiovascular Nursing (2014)
Appointments and affiliations:
Simon holds numerous national and international roles reflecting his standing as an expert in the field of health services research and cardiovascular disease. This includes chairing research committees for the NHMRC (currently he chairs the Postgraduate Research Scholarship panel of Indigenous Research) and National Heart Foundation of Australia, where he is an expert reviewer for international research organisations and involved in national/international expert guideline committees.
Simon remains actively involved in peer reviewing for prestigious medical and cardiologic journals including The Lancet, Circulation and European Heart Journal. He is an associate editor of the International Journal of Cardiology, senior editor of the European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, international adviser to Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes and he acts on the editorial boards of two of the top three cardiology journals: Nature Reviews Cardiology and Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Loading ORCID Record...