John’s primary research focus includes the interaction of exercise and diet on the regulation of fat and carbohydrate metabolism, particularly within skeletal muscle, the molecular basis of exercise training adaptation and the cellular bases underlying exercise-induced improvements in insulin action.
John holds a joint appointment as Professor of Exercise Metabolism and Nutrition at the Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University Liverpool in the United Kingdom.
He has published over 220 scientific manuscripts, written over 100 articles for technical journals and has authored numerous book chapters for exercise biochemistry and sports medicine texts. He is an Associate Editor for Diabetologia and currently sits on the Editorial Boards of many international journals. He is a frequently invited speaker at both National and International scientific meetings.
Accolades and awards:
- Medical Research Council of South Africa, RC Scholarship (Outstanding Foreign Researcher). (1990-1992).
- University of Cape Town JW. Jagger Postgraduate Scholarship (1991-1992).
- Ball State University Graduate School. Deans Special Award (1986).
Appointments and affiliations:
- Member of the International Advisory Board for Sports Oracle (U.K.) who run the IOC
- Diploma in Sports Nutrition, awarded by the International Olympic Committee.
- Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (F.A.C.S.M.). Elected May 1994.
- Member of the American Physiological Society (A.P.S.). Elected April 1999
- Member of the Gatorade Sports Science Institute Expert Advisory panel (2014-current)
- Diabetologia (2015-present)
- American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism (2007- present)
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (2010- present)
- Sports Medicine (2007- present)
- Journal of Applied Physiology (2011- present)
- International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (2005- present)
- Journal of Sports Sciences (2009- present)
- Malaysian Journal of Sport Science and Recreation (2005- present)
International Journal review panels:
- Acta Physiologica Scandinavia (Sweden)
- American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism (U.S.A.)
- American Journal of Physiology Regulatory Physiology (U.S.A.)
- Cell Metabolism (U.S.A.)
- Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology (Australia)
- Diabetes (U.S.A.)
- Diabetologia (Austria)
- International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (U.S.A.)
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (U.S.A.)
- Metabolism (U.S.A.)
- Plos Biology (U.S.A.)
- The Journal of Applied Physiology (U.S.A.)
- The Journal of Physiology (London)
- The International Journal of Sports Medicine (U.S.A.)
- Sports Medicine (New Zealand)
Grant Agency review panels:
- Australian Research Council Grant applications (1999- present).
- Diabetes U.K. (2007- present)
- Diabetes Australia Research Trust Grant applications (1999- present).
- National Health & Medical Research Council of Australia, Project Grant Applications (1999-present).
- National Health & Medical Research Council of Australia, Program Grant Applications (2004- present).
- Welcome Trust UK (2006- present)
Loading ORCID Record...